Sunday, October 31, 2010

Aquiring Hardware

Monday my lover was kind enough to drive me over to NCIX for to purchase another WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive.

Issues: I'm out of SATA ports on my MOBO and SATA power connectors on my two older 250 Watt power supplies.  Best Buy replaced the power adapter for my wife's Toshiba laptop with a clunky universal type she dislikes, and I need to get that new drive powered up and copy over all my data.

Tuesday I stopped off at The Hackery to see if David might have a power adapter for my wife's Toshiba laptop, which he did, and he also had a used 32bit PCI RAID card.  Excellent!  Now I can build a redundant hardware RAID and put this isue to rest.

NCIXWD20EARS  $111.99 CAD.

The Hackery3Ware 8000 series 32Bit PCI RAID card and a SATA Ppower adapter  20.00 CAD

After returning home and installing all the new hardware, It was late and I chose to spend most of my time with my partner watching lost and scrubs amungst other less g rated activities. After a few days spending a few hours at it spread over the next dew days I ran into a wall while setting up the raid card as I only had 2 drives and I didn't want to take a chance hooking my original drive with all my data up to a RAID card that might newk it by mistake rather than migrate the data to both drives.  I need another drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment